Thursday, March 12, 2009

Sibling Rivalry Part II

When Caspian was about 6 months old, I decided she needed a friend.
I didn't actually check with Caspian on this first, I just went down to the Humane Society. If you've ever been to a Humane Society, it's a lot like a used car lot. The folks working there just want to move the inventory outta there, and they'll tell you anything to get you to take one home. I was immediately taken by a kitten with striking coloration.




However, when I held her, she was, well...floppy. Lethargic. Boneless.

Me: This cat seems floppy.
Used Cat Salesman: No no! She's very active. She was just playing, and now she's tired.
Me: Well, if you say so....
Used Cat Salesman: What can I say to convince you to take this cat home TODAY?
Me: I just don't know if this is the cat for me. She doesn't seem that bright.
Used Cat Salesman: (shifty eyes): Look - don't tell my supervisor I did this, but we are having a special on cats under 4 months old. This baby isn't that young, but for you, I can make that deal happen. Come on, waddya say?

So home she came.

It's been three years, and that must have been one heckuva a play session, because she hasn't recovered yet.

Teryx is the calmest, un-catlike cat I've ever met. She follows you around the room like a dog. She eats scraps off the floor. She likes water.

She is happy to snooze all day, preferably on your head. She loves company. She doesn't bite or scratch, nor does she bury her poop or groom herself.

Caspian wasn't to thrilled about this new addition, but fortunately, Terxy didn't mind not being Alpha. Caspian frequently pummels Teryx, and Teryx doesn't mind. Terxy is also fond of nursing on things (exposed skin, Caspian's ears) which increases the amount of pummeling.



And while Caspian will never admit this, I think she's usually glad Teryx is around.


Sigh. This posting nonsense is hard work. I still haven't gotten to the incredible corpulence of Teryx, or how she and Whiskey interact. Stay tuned!

2 comments:

Be Like the Squirrel, Girl said...

I don't know if there is a pattern here, but my sister adopted a cat from the humane society and we have come to be her foster parents. She also is obsessed with water and doesn't bury her poo. Which is VERY ANNOYING

Ironic collector said...

From Momcat (via me):
Your Teryx pictures are absolutely gorgeous--Calendar quality. --Maybe even National Geographic calendar quality. Too bad she falls off of things and doesn't land on her feet. O well, no one is perfect, and she is sweet enough to make up for a multitude of cunning.

Remember in the movie "Harvey" (this is only an approximate quote)-- "Once a long time ago, my mother told me to get along in this world you need to be either ever so clever or ever so kind. I've tried clever. I prefer kind."