Sunday, March 29, 2009

Here It Is!



Here's a conversation I had with my dad a few months ago:

Dad: So, what needs to be done with this house?
Me: You mean, rehab-wise?
Dad: Affirmative.
Me: Not much.
Dad: What does 'not much' constitute?
Me: Um, just a new roof and siding. And updating the plumbing and electrical. And the ceiling and walls need to be fixed. But that's it!
Dad: (pause) Are you sure you want this house?
Me: Yeah. Why?

I've been resistant to putting photos of the house up on the blog until after we bought it. It's like not telling anyone the unfortunate name you picked out for your child until after it's legal on the birth certificate. But, it's all ours now. And the rehab has begun! It's more like demolition - and it seems like we keep making more work for ourselves, but it'll pay off and it will be a very nice house. Or at least, we're probably not going to lose money on it. Unless the whole economy collapses, and then money won't really be an issue. We'll just need a few firearms to fend off the zombies. (Don't you know there's a direct correlation between economies collapsing and marauding zombies?)

4 comments:

Momcat said...

The Fatherhead says he has no recollection of that conversation at all. Next thing he probably won't be able to recall ever having had any children.

Every time I leave a comment it asks me to choose an identity. I feel like I'm entering a witenss protection program or something. But I guess on those, you really don't get to choose. Anyway, it's hard to decide which of my multiple personalities to choose.

I think today I'll be a demon sprite.

Be Like the Squirrel, Girl said...

It will look great once you do everything. ;) And you got it for a steal, right? Practically a steal?

Momcat said...

I just checked back at your first house posting, and I see that your grass is greening up since I was there in Feb. That makes everything feel SOOO much better. By next spring, there will be crocus and daffodils blooming all along the side of your happy little house.

Anonymous said...

M & B, have to tell you that your new house was SO MUCH BETTER than our Bunkhouse when we purchased the property. Pink-everywhere-PINK! Except for the very cheap, very thin, very brown wallboard. Piles of dead fire ants in every room. Our poor cats lived under the house for 6 mos. without a single sighting. No air, no heat, no fans, desert cooler, etc. The well pump quit as soon as Ralph would leave town. Two bathrooms: one with a toilet, one with a very unattractive tub. Mesquite and waist-high thistles in the yard. There were 3 tornadoes. While Ralph commuted to Dallas, I lived with two classmates (men) from grad school and a Colombian (man) who could say nothing in English except "For me, it is too dangerous...." Did I mention it was summer? And really really hot? For the record, I LIKE YOUR HOUSE. I think it is headed in the charming direction fast. I think you will all be very happy there. Please don't paint anything pink. Love, SG