Monday, November 16, 2009

Floors Part I: the Kitchen

We first did the painting of the walls, with the theory that it would be better to spill paint on a a floor that we were just going to refinish. I don't have a whole lot of pictures of the painting process, but I do have a lot of photos of the floors, as they were a lot more Herculean. I'll start with the kitchen floor.

It was your typical 1980's linoleum floor, with a lovely teal back splash.

Apparently, the previous decorators couldn't imagine why anyone would want to get rid of such a lovely floor, and the linoleum only came off in postage sized chunks. Enter an iron, wet towel, scrapey thing, and hours of genuflecting.


I guess there is something worse than a teal kitchen. The previous lavender color under it!


Kitchen floor, sans tile.


Laying the tile on top of the cement board (which is on top of the subfloor).


Giant bucket of morter.



Grouting



Finished product! It actually looks better now that we've gotten the haze off tile. I'll post a current photo when I get one.

No comments: