Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Better than a black cat...

The previous occupants of the house "finished" the basement by putting in a drop ceiling, and wood paneling over the cinder blocks. We decided to unfinish it - so that the electrician could correct all the do-it-yourself wiring, and because it was hideous and smelled of cats.
Scary wiring, scarier paint job.

Not sure if Pepto-Dismal pink is ever going to come back....

While pulling down the ceiling, I discovered why drop ceilings are bad. Because you create a large dark habitat for mice and rats. There were years and years worth of droppings and old poison bait cartridges that people had been shoving up there. Under the drop ceiling, plywood furring, and asbestos wrapping, we found this little gem - a single specimen of a very old deck of girly playing cards. I have blacked out her goodies in order to afford her a modicum of modesty. Just thought I'd share the bounty.

5 comments:

Be Like the Squirrel, Girl said...

Score! Um, you are like, wearing masks and gloves, right? No hanta virus!

Momcat said...

Your wall color is almost exactly like our under wallpaper color. I wonder if it was the color of some ancient brnad of primer- which was obsoleted by the fact that it was then harder to cover than the wall it was opriming would have been without it.

Also it is exactly the color of the larger background of Katie's adventures in babyland. I jumped from your basement directly to pretty Penny, and thought at first I had just hit the enlarge button for the picture of your wall. I begin to feel tha this color is following me around.
And the Demon Sprite is.... PINK!

Momcat said...

oh my! that is bountiful! I would put that hairstyle right into the 1940s

Momcat said...

Asbestos and hanta virus Wow! Don't eat the paint, it probablty has lead; and i am sure there must be mercury in ther somewhere. With all the pathogens in that house, you need a few heavy metals to complete the collection.

If the girly card was up there in the ceiling, they may have piled a little strychnine on it and slipped it up there for the beastiary. Moral-- don't chew on the card either.

Earth Day! PERFECT!

Be Like the Squirrel, Girl said...

Haha, I didn't know your mom was plagued so by all of the pink! :) Also, I wanted to say I'm sorry about the crummy day you had.